Charter: NRS GD55/201

Description (from People of Medieval Scotland)

Affrica daughter of Edgar, for the soul of Sir William, king of Scotland, and others, and for the welfare of her lord, Alexander, king of Scotland, and Lady J[oan], the Queen, and others, has given, granted, and established by this her charter, to Melrose Abbey, in free, pure and perpetual alms, a certain part of her land in the territory of Dunscore (DMF) as contained within these bounds, namely from the cross called ‘Crosgarriauch’ which is the boundary between the land of the canons of Dercongal (Holywood, DMF) and ‘Derrengorran’, ascending by the road until ‘Durreswen’ and from there, descending by the pile of stones until a certain syke, and then directly descending until a certain burn called ‘Pollelogan’ and by that, ascending until the royal road which goes from Dercongal to Glencairn (DMF), and by that road, until the ford that is called ‘Athenweran’, and as this syke descends until a certain path which leads to the ford of ‘Carn’ (Cairn Water), and by the river of ‘Carn’, ascending until the aforesaid cross called ‘Crossengarriauch’. All of this land she has given and granted to the monks of Melrose in pereptuity, to employ as they see fit. She has also granted free right of way across her whole land and that of her men, with their draught animals. She has acquitted the land from all service, secular custom and demand in perpetuity.

Current location

Repository
National Records of Scotland
Town or City
Edinburgh
Shelfmark
GD55/201

Other information

Catalogue Numbers
Melr. Lib. no. 201
PoMS Document 3/34/8
Format
Unspecified
Date
19 June 1221 x 18 March 1229

People of Medieval Scotland (PoMS Document 3/34/8)

Affrica daughter of Edgar, for the soul of Sir William, king of Scotland, and others, and for the welfare of her lord, Alexander, king of Scotland, and Lady J[oan], the Queen, and others, has given, granted, and established by this her charter, to Melrose Abbey, in free, pure and perpetual alms, a certain part of her land in the territory of Dunscore (DMF) as contained within these bounds, namely from the cross called ‘Crosgarriauch’ which is the boundary between the land of the canons of Dercongal (Holywood, DMF) and ‘Derrengorran’, ascending by the road until ‘Durreswen’ and from there, descending by the pile of stones until a certain syke, and then directly descending until a certain burn called ‘Pollelogan’ and by that, ascending until the royal road which goes from Dercongal to Glencairn (DMF), and by that road, until the ford that is called ‘Athenweran’, and as this syke descends until a certain path which leads to the ford of ‘Carn’ (Cairn Water), and by the river of ‘Carn’, ascending until the aforesaid cross called ‘Crossengarriauch’. All of this land she has given and granted to the monks of Melrose in pereptuity, to employ as they see fit. She has also granted free right of way across her whole land and that of her men, with their draught animals. She has acquitted the land from all service, secular custom and demand in perpetuity.

No Page associated to this record
No Text associated to this record