Charter: NRS GD55/284

Description (from People of Medieval Scotland)

Walter of Ryedale son of Patrick of Ryedale has granted and by this his charter established to Melrose Abbey, for the souls of his lords, David, Malcolm and William, kings of Scots, and for the soul of his father and all of his ancestors and for the salvation of his lord, Alexander, king of Scots and the salvation of himself and all his successors, the donation of Patrick his father which he made to the monks of a certain part of his land in the territory of Lilliesleaf (ROX), in free, pure and perpetual alms, by stated bounds including the land of the bishop of Glasgow and the abbot of Kelso, except the land which William son of Alexander held in the same territory. Additionally, he granted to the same monks pasture for 12 bulls, 10 cows, 5 horses and 100 sheep with all the other common easements of the same villa, as the charter of the donation of his father purports and testifies. And he and his heirs will support and warrant all the aforesaid of the monk towards all men and will acquit them of all terrestrial service, custom and secular exaction [owed] to the lord king and [any] others.

Current location

Repository
National Records of Scotland
Town or City
Edinburgh
Shelfmark
GD55/284

Other information

Catalogue Numbers
Melr. Lib. no. 284
PoMS Document 3/517/14
Format
Unspecified
Text Date
4 December 1214 x 1227

People of Medieval Scotland (PoMS Document 3/517/14)

Walter of Ryedale son of Patrick of Ryedale has granted and by this his charter established to Melrose Abbey, for the souls of his lords, David, Malcolm and William, kings of Scots, and for the soul of his father and all of his ancestors and for the salvation of his lord, Alexander, king of Scots and the salvation of himself and all his successors, the donation of Patrick his father which he made to the monks of a certain part of his land in the territory of Lilliesleaf (ROX), in free, pure and perpetual alms, by stated bounds including the land of the bishop of Glasgow and the abbot of Kelso, except the land which William son of Alexander held in the same territory. Additionally, he granted to the same monks pasture for 12 bulls, 10 cows, 5 horses and 100 sheep with all the other common easements of the same villa, as the charter of the donation of his father purports and testifies. And he and his heirs will support and warrant all the aforesaid of the monk towards all men and will acquit them of all terrestrial service, custom and secular exaction [owed] to the lord king and [any] others.

No Page associated to this record
No Text associated to this record