Settlement: NLS Adv. MS 15.1.18, no. 33

Description (from People of Medieval Scotland)

P[atrick], abbot of Dunfermline, W[ido/Guy], abbot of Lindores and H[ugh], prior of May, judges-delegate appointed by Pope Innocent III, pronounce a decision in the complaint which Ranulf, archdeacon of St Andrews, made against Hugh the steward, and Jordan, his nepos, on the other part, concerning the lands laying on the west of the ‘new work’ towards the houses of Lamburc, which he asserted belonged his archdeaconry. The judges decided, at the mediation of Sir William, bishop of St Andrews, that Hugh and Jordan would resign and quitclaim the lands, together with the buildings which they have built upon them, to the archdeacon and his successors. In return, the archdeacon has given to Hugh the steward 15 marks and Jordan 10 marks and 4 ‘perticatas’ of land, immediately east of the house of Simon the clerk, which he had received from Prior Thomas and the convent of St Andrews, for a rent of one pound of cumin.

Current location

Repository
National Library of Scotland
Town or City
Edinburgh
Shelfmark
Adv. MS 15.1.18, no. 33

Other information

Catalogue Numbers
Barrow, E. Fife Docs. no. 3
PoMS Document 4/32/16
Format
Unspecified
Date
20 September 1202 x 11 April 1206

People of Medieval Scotland (PoMS Document 4/32/16)

P[atrick], abbot of Dunfermline, W[ido/Guy], abbot of Lindores and H[ugh], prior of May, judges-delegate appointed by Pope Innocent III, pronounce a decision in the complaint which Ranulf, archdeacon of St Andrews, made against Hugh the steward, and Jordan, his nepos, on the other part, concerning the lands laying on the west of the ‘new work’ towards the houses of Lamburc, which he asserted belonged his archdeaconry. The judges decided, at the mediation of Sir William, bishop of St Andrews, that Hugh and Jordan would resign and quitclaim the lands, together with the buildings which they have built upon them, to the archdeacon and his successors. In return, the archdeacon has given to Hugh the steward 15 marks and Jordan 10 marks and 4 ‘perticatas’ of land, immediately east of the house of Simon the clerk, which he had received from Prior Thomas and the convent of St Andrews, for a rent of one pound of cumin.