Charter: NRS GD55/72 (2)

Description (from People of Medieval Scotland)

Walter son of Alan, son of Walter, steward of the king of Scotland, has granted and by this his present charter established to Melrose Abbey, in free, pure and perpetual alms, Mauchline (AYR) by stated bounds between the land of Mauchline and the land of Gilbert son of Richer, which Walter son of Alan, his grandfather, and Alan, his father, who gave this gift to them, made Donald son of Ewin and Gilbride perambulate, and those which Walter made William of Lindsey, his steward, Roger Logan, Walter the porter, Richard son of Henry Wallace and his other good men certified in the presence of William abbot of Melrose. Along with this land, he granted and established to them the untilled land and haugh on the northern part of the River Ayr which they wanted to develop and the fishery in the mouth of the River Ayr with one principal net. Additionally, he granted and established to them the whole pasture of his forest, by stated bounds, and one ploughgate of land to be developed in that place, free and quit from all service, except five marks of silver which they will render to him and his heirs annually, save only his forest in beasts and sheep, and he will acquit them of all forinsec service [owed] to their lord king. Walter states that his lord, King William, granted and by his charter established this gift as his own alms, and additionally, he granted to the monks the donation which Richard Wallace made to Melrose Abbey of the land of Barmuir (AYR) and of Godenech (AYR) with all their pertinents as the charter of Richard testifies and as is contained in the confirmation of Alan, his father, which the monks have from him.

Current location

Repository
National Records of Scotland
Town or City
Edinburgh
Shelfmark
GD55/72 (2)

Other information

Catalogue Numbers
Melr. Lib. no. 72[*]
PoMS Document 3/547/40
Format
Unspecified
Date
1204 x 1219

People of Medieval Scotland (PoMS Document 3/547/40)

Walter son of Alan, son of Walter, steward of the king of Scotland, has granted and by this his present charter established to Melrose Abbey, in free, pure and perpetual alms, Mauchline (AYR) by stated bounds between the land of Mauchline and the land of Gilbert son of Richer, which Walter son of Alan, his grandfather, and Alan, his father, who gave this gift to them, made Donald son of Ewin and Gilbride perambulate, and those which Walter made William of Lindsey, his steward, Roger Logan, Walter the porter, Richard son of Henry Wallace and his other good men certified in the presence of William abbot of Melrose. Along with this land, he granted and established to them the untilled land and haugh on the northern part of the River Ayr which they wanted to develop and the fishery in the mouth of the River Ayr with one principal net. Additionally, he granted and established to them the whole pasture of his forest, by stated bounds, and one ploughgate of land to be developed in that place, free and quit from all service, except five marks of silver which they will render to him and his heirs annually, save only his forest in beasts and sheep, and he will acquit them of all forinsec service [owed] to their lord king. Walter states that his lord, King William, granted and by his charter established this gift as his own alms, and additionally, he granted to the monks the donation which Richard Wallace made to Melrose Abbey of the land of Barmuir (AYR) and of Godenech (AYR) with all their pertinents as the charter of Richard testifies and as is contained in the confirmation of Alan, his father, which the monks have from him.

No Page associated to this record
No Text associated to this record