Charter: NRS GD55/92

Description (from People of Medieval Scotland)

Hugh de Normanville and Alana, his wife, have given, granted and by this their charter established to Melrose Abbey, for the souls of David and Malcolm, kings of Scots, and Earl Henry, and for the salvation of their lord, William, king of Scots, and Alexander, his son, and Earl David, the king’s brother, and for the souls of themselves, their fathers, their mothers, and all their ancestors and successors, the land of ‘Keluesete’ and of ‘Faulawe’ by stated bounds (ROX). They gave this whole land to them, except a half ploughgate of land which Hugh de Helleie held, in exchange for the land which Robert of Berkeley and Cecilia, his wife, gave to them in the territory of Maxton on the eastern part of ‘Deresterte’ (ROX), and they gave to them the common pasture of the villa of Maxton for 100 sheep, 20 oxen, 6 cows and 3 horses and one hog pen. They also gave to them the common easements of the same villa and sufficient peat from their quarry of ‘Alwardene’ for the building of the house of Melrose to be constructed. They will acquit them of the lord King and his successors in relation to forinsec service and all terrestrial service and [they will be free] from all custom and secular exaction in perpetuity, save the teinds of the church of Saint Cuthbert of Maxton.

Current location

Repository
National Records of Scotland
Town or City
Edinburgh
Shelfmark
GD55/92

Other information

Catalogue Numbers
Melr. Lib. no. 92
PoMS Document 3/443/1
Format
Unspecified
Date
24 September 1200 x 20 September 1202

People of Medieval Scotland (PoMS Document 3/443/1)

Hugh de Normanville and Alana, his wife, have given, granted and by this their charter established to Melrose Abbey, for the souls of David and Malcolm, kings of Scots, and Earl Henry, and for the salvation of their lord, William, king of Scots, and Alexander, his son, and Earl David, the king’s brother, and for the souls of themselves, their fathers, their mothers, and all their ancestors and successors, the land of ‘Keluesete’ and of ‘Faulawe’ by stated bounds (ROX). They gave this whole land to them, except a half ploughgate of land which Hugh de Helleie held, in exchange for the land which Robert of Berkeley and Cecilia, his wife, gave to them in the territory of Maxton on the eastern part of ‘Deresterte’ (ROX), and they gave to them the common pasture of the villa of Maxton for 100 sheep, 20 oxen, 6 cows and 3 horses and one hog pen. They also gave to them the common easements of the same villa and sufficient peat from their quarry of ‘Alwardene’ for the building of the house of Melrose to be constructed. They will acquit them of the lord King and his successors in relation to forinsec service and all terrestrial service and [they will be free] from all custom and secular exaction in perpetuity, save the teinds of the church of Saint Cuthbert of Maxton.

No Page associated to this record
No Text associated to this record