Charter: NRS GD55/122

Description (from People of Medieval Scotland)

Herbert, dean, and the whole chapter of Glasgow, with common consent and counsel, have granted and by their charter established to Melrose Abbey, in free, quit and perpetual alms, the church of Hassendean (ROX) which Jocelin, bishop [of Glasgow], assigned and established to the abbey, by the counsel, consent and grant of William, king of Scotland, and the counsel and consent of the chapter, towards the undertaking of beggars and pilgrims, and of which church there was a dispute between the king and the same bishop pertaining to the right of its patronage. The king granted what right he had or could have in the church of Hassendean to Bishop Jocelin, so that all the works of the church itself may be approved, paid, and converted for good use, to be held by Melrose Abbey, just as other conventual or parish churches in the diocese of Glasgow, saving a pension of 20s. from the same church paid by Melrose to the bishop yearly at the feast of St Martin, and saving episcopal dues.

Current location

Repository
National Records of Scotland
Town or City
Edinburgh
Shelfmark
GD55/122

Other information

Catalogue Numbers
Melr. Lib. no. 122
PoMS Document 2/41/2
Format
Unspecified
Date
10 September 1195 x 2 February 1196

People of Medieval Scotland (PoMS Document 2/41/2)

Herbert, dean, and the whole chapter of Glasgow, with common consent and counsel, have granted and by their charter established to Melrose Abbey, in free, quit and perpetual alms, the church of Hassendean (ROX) which Jocelin, bishop [of Glasgow], assigned and established to the abbey, by the counsel, consent and grant of William, king of Scotland, and the counsel and consent of the chapter, towards the undertaking of beggars and pilgrims, and of which church there was a dispute between the king and the same bishop pertaining to the right of its patronage. The king granted what right he had or could have in the church of Hassendean to Bishop Jocelin, so that all the works of the church itself may be approved, paid, and converted for good use, to be held by Melrose Abbey, just as other conventual or parish churches in the diocese of Glasgow, saving a pension of 20s. from the same church paid by Melrose to the bishop yearly at the feast of St Martin, and saving episcopal dues.

No Page associated to this record
No Text associated to this record